|author||Havoc Pennington <firstname.lastname@example.org>||2002-04-28 04:52:26 +0000|
|committer||Havoc Pennington <email@example.com>||2002-04-28 04:52:26 +0000|
remove caveats about keybindings
2002-04-28 Havoc Pennington <firstname.lastname@example.org> * README: remove caveats about keybindings * src/metacity.schemas: add schemas for all the keybindings. * src/window.c (meta_window_activate): if in "show desktop" mode when a window is activated, leave show desktop mode. So e.g. when you click on a task in the task list, show desktop mode will be turned off. * src/workspace.c (meta_workspace_get_neighbor): new function that doesn't quite work yet (needs support for getting workspace layout from the pager) * src/prefs.c: keybindings stuff * src/keybindings.c: make keybindings configurable * src/ui.c (meta_ui_parse_accelerator): new function
Diffstat (limited to 'README')
1 files changed, 14 insertions, 18 deletions
@@ -51,19 +51,25 @@ METACITY FEATURES
gconftool-2 --type=string --set /apps/metacity/general/focus_mode sloppy
gconftool-2 --type=string --set /apps/metacity/general/focus_mode click
- - Global keybindings:
- Alt-F1 to Alt-F6 switch workspaces
- Alt-1 to Alt-6 switch workspaces
+ - Global keybinding defaults:
Alt-Tab forward cycle window focus
Alt-Shift-Tab backward cycle focus
Alt-Ctrl-Tab forward cycle focus among panels
Alt-Ctrl-Shift-Tab backward cycle focus among panels
Alt-Escape focus previous window
- Ctrl-Alt-Left Arrow previous workspace
- Ctrl-Alt-Right Arrow next workspace
+ Alt-Left Arrow previous workspace
+ Alt-Right Arrow next workspace
Ctrl-Alt-D minimize/unminimize all, to show desktop
+ Change keybindings for example:
+ unst gconftool-2 --type=string --set /apps/metacity/global_keybindings/switch_to_workspace_1 '<Alt>F1'
+ See metacity.schemas for available bindings.
- Window keybindings:
Alt-space window menu
Mnemonics work in the menu. That is, Alt-space then underlined
@@ -77,6 +83,9 @@ METACITY FEATURES
Choose Resize from menu, and nothing happens yet, but
eventually I might implement something.
+ Keybindings for things like maximize window, etc. can be bound,
+ but don't exist by default. See metacity.schemas.
- Window mouse bindings:
Clicking anywhere on frame with button 1 will raise/focus window
@@ -130,23 +139,10 @@ METACITY FEATURES
METACITY BUGS, NON-FEATURES, AND CAVEATS
- - If you want keybindings which are not the ones mentioned above
- as features, you have to edit keybindings.c and recompile.
- - Some of the default keybindings (notable Alt+number) are total
- crackrock. This is just because I like those keybindings and
- things aren't configurable yet. Once bindings are configurable
- the dumb defaults will go away.
- You need an EWMH-spec compliant pager/tasklist to be able
to navigate graphically; this does NOT include GNOME 1.x,
but should include GNOME 2 and KDE 3.
- - Metacity turns off its keybindings for Emacs, because I use
- Alt-space in Emacs, and getting a window menu annoys me.
- This is a broken feature that will go away when keybindings are
- I haven't even read the ICCCM section about colormaps. So if you
have an 8-bit display you are probably screwed.